St. Augustine's Tower is Hackney's oldest building,
having survived when the rest of the original parish church was
demolished in 1798.
A familiar landmark, it stands in the centre of
the ancient village of Hackney, and appears on the Borough's coat
of arms. It is listed Grade 1, and is therefore in the top 2% of
buildings listed in the country.